Saturday, July 2, 2016

What is Neurodiversity?


Usually, I wouldn't look anything up on wikipedia since it's maintained by the public, and some people find it hilarious to upload false information. This time however, I trust my peers.

Neurodiversity as defined by Wikipedia.

   "A concept where neurological differences are to be recognized and respected as any other human variation. These differences can include those labeled with Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Dyscalculia, Autistic Spectrum, Tourette Syndrome, and others."

Teaching others about Neurodivesity is extremely important. Not many people know or even understand this subject, which can lead to negative feelings and false ideas. Autism is often a vast and confusing subject, especially when it comes to girls and women. The diagnostic criteria for Autism was set by the example of boys. Girls are much different from boys in several ways. Boys are more likely to act out and be very open in expressing their differences, whereas girls often hide this which makes them much more difficult to diagnose. Now, I'm not purposely excluding non-binary people, or other gendered people, but in the health manuals, there are no documented cases that I specifically know of, although there are a plethora of *us within the community.

*Us: I identify as non-binary, although my birth certificate says female.

This is a short post, but that's all I can think of for now!