Friday, July 1, 2016

The dreaded summer

Beach trips. Barbecues. Flip Flops. Bathing suits. Campfires. This is something neurotypical people like about summer. You know what my autistic mind sees? Sweating in places that makes me cringe. Way too hot. Humidity. Unstable temperatures. Loud people. Random fireworks. Random thunder and lightening. Screaming children. Sunburns. Copious amounts of bugs, that're always in my face.

Normally, summertime is filled with fun and laughter, right? Not for me. For me, it means itchy skin, little things constantly in my face, weather so hot that it makes places on my body sweat that should never produce water. THEN we have the bites those tiny little things swarming in my face leave. Nothing is stable about summer. In fact, there is so much randomness about it that it makes me cringe. Autistic people need an environment that's constant, and since everything in summer is fast paced, it seems nothing during this season is calm enough to be constant. Sure, when I've got my own activities planned, I don't think twice about enjoying myself, however, this usually means ignorant people who can't understand how to be civil to strangers. There are a lot of positive things during summer, but most of them are people related, and I hate people, well, most people. 

How do I combat this? I make a safe space in our house where I can retire. I read a lot, listen to good music, play games, or write. I keep myself distracted from the unstable environment. Calming scents help, but they cannot keep my mind busy, but they do help take the edge off. 

Always remember to accommodate your autistic, if its within reason. If they want to take their blanket, a pillow, stuffed animal or something else they find soothing into a closet, because it's quiet, make sure they're comfortable. Check in on them SOMETIMES, make sure they have a fan, and some water. But most of all, just make sure they're calm and comfy. Life is hard, lets not make it worse for them during these times of sensory sensitivity.