Saturday, July 2, 2016

DIY Cold Remedies pt 1

Honey Lemon Ginger Tea
1 cup water
1" piece of ginger (or more to taste), peeled and chopped roughly
1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon honey (or more to taste)

1. Take a small pot over medium heat
2. Heat water, ginger, lemon and honey
3. Strain into a mug

*According to thekitchn, 1 whole lemon heeds 3 tablespoons of juice.
*It's best to use organic and locally made honey for the pollen it carries.

Edit 7-3-'16: (I added) Heat the Ginger, honey, and lemon for about 10 mins. Put in a jar together and let cool (if you want it to be cold). I added cinnamon and put the ginger and cinnamon in a makeshift teabag to keep the smaller pieces from floating all over the place.

I had a fairly large jar, so I added half a lemon, 1" of ginger and about 2 tablespoons of honey.

The ginger is very strong, I'll be using less of it in future brews, and more honey. But so far? It's tasty cold, too. Here's to hoping that it helps boost my immune system! (I've seen that's one of the benefits of this drink)


Honey & Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Mix together
2. Take twice a day for 3 days.

*Both Honey and Cinnamon are antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal.
*It also has been known to knock out bladder/kidney infections, reduces sugar levels and blood pressure, and acts as a pain reliever for arthritis.

***      ***      ***      ***

Honestly, I'm not one for hot drinks, but I'm giving honey and cinnamon in hot water, a try. Right now, I'm feeling rather ill (sinus drainage, mucus build-up), so I'm hoping this works. Now, I'm quite the fan of modern pharm, but sometimes, you just don't want to deal with the side effects it can cause. So if the hot water, honey and cinnamon mixture doesn't work, I'll turn to cold meds, but it sure is tasty! It's also soothing on the throat, even though mine isn't sore. It's also good cold! It's sweet, but soothing and calming. I highly recommend it.

I have tried the Cinnamon and Honey paste, and its really delicious with crackers, fruit, toast, pretty much anything. It works in about 2-3 days, so long as you take it twice a day. It's a little spicy, so keep a drink handy, but it's better if you eat it with or on something else. 

Sometimes, homemade remedies are best paired with modern pharmaceutical products, but there's no harm in trying the first! This is by no means a substitute for medical advice or attention.  

***      ***      ***      ***

Allergy Bomb (10mL roller bottle)
20 Drops Lavender
20 Drops Lemon
20 Drops Peppermint
*Fill the rest with fractionated coconut oil

Vapor Rub
(by wickedspatula)
3/4 Cup Coconut Oil Solid
3 Tablespoons Beeswax
20-40 Drops Eucalyptus Oil
20 Drops Peppermint Oil
10 Drops Rosemary Oil
10 Drops Wild Orange Oil (optional)
I added:
10 Drops Camphor Oil (optional)
10 Drops Lavender Oil (optional)

1. Create a double boiler by placing one pot over one with water.
2. Melt down Coconut Oil Solids and beeswax together,
3. Add essential oils, and transfer to your container.
4. Keep in a cool, dry place.

Congestion Killer
(Steam Diffuser and/or Diffuser Necklace Blend)
6 Drops Peppermint
5 Drops Eucalyptus
4 Drops Camphor
2 Drops Lavender

***      ***      ***      ***

Do not ingest essential oils (unless directed by a trained medical profession who has experience in this area of therapy)! Kayla Fioravanti made an excellent point. Deaths in the aromatherapy group have skyrocketed since it's become an internet fad. Ingestion can lead to organ failure and even death. Aromatherapy is meant to be purely topical. 

For the Vapor Rub, I suggest putting it on the bottom of your feet, under your nose and on your chest. Since it doesn't contain petroleum jelly, it won't get on everything. It'll absorb quickly and help open your airways. I also recommend putting the oils (the same amount as in the rub recipe) in a roller bottle diluted with fractionated coconut oil. Apply the roller bottle mixture to your hands, cup them over your nose and take 5 slow, deep breaths. The roller bottle mixture is also good for headaches, when I have one, I add the oil to my temples, and forehead. It also helps with physical aches (muscles will sometimes spasm on my scalp and it is quite painful. The only thing I've found that actually helps is peppermint (diluted with fractionated coconut oil) oil), plus, if you like minty things, its very pleasant.

Honestly, my headaches don't stand a chance against any of these essential oil blends! In fact, before I tried any of this, I'd had a persistent near crippling headache. The first night I tried the Vapor Rub, I slept like a baby and woke up feeling like a new person! Since then, I keep my essential oil roller bottle with the same blend with me at all times! If I don't want to use the rub or my roller bottle, I'll put it in my steam diffuser and it'll do the same exact thing. I've even gone so far as to put it in my diffuser necklace and same results as with steam, oil or rub!